News 2019

March 2019

The following update was published in the March edition of Shere Parish Magazine:

We are aiming to reopen the pool on May 5th but if there is any change to this plan a message will be posted here on the website and at the swimming pool. The season will run from May 5th until the end of September. Following detailed analysis of the requirements to upgrade the pool plant room systems, it has been decided not to undertake any preliminary work before the reopening date. It may not now be necessary to reduce the water depth and we will need to undertake substantial fundraising before the budget for the whole project can be fully met. We now hope to start the upgrade work in October, members will be informed and consulted on developments over the coming months.

January 2019

The following update on progress will also be found in the next edition of the Shere Parish Magazine:

The proposed approach to upgrading the plant room systems and pipework was confirmed by the Swimming Pool Club Committee on 9 January, and the same evening discussed at the Shere Parish Council Meeting.

This approach foresees levelling the pool to a depth of 1.2 metres maximum, alongside revising all the pipework, and introducing more skimmers, all being undertaken as an integrated Phase 1, hopefully before re-opening the pool in May.  Prior to this a structural engineer will check that the pool structure can bear the weight of the concrete to be introduced to level the base, as well as help further confirm that the structure of the pool itself can be relied on for the future. Extension of the plant room and introduction of the new filters and pumps would then proceed in October, as Phase 2, following the end of the 2019 swimming season. An evaluation of tender responses from prospective suppliers has been undertaken, a preferred supplier proposed and overall costs negotiated for the two phases. 

A further meeting has now been organised with the Parish Council, to discuss the overall approach and proposals in more detail, in light of the new situation, and how this can best be funded.

It is hoped that there should be sufficient funding available to proceed with Phase One. However, there will be a need to raise up to an additional £70,000 approximately to pay for Phase 2, before this can commence. Given the difficulties and long timeframes associated with relying solely on applications for sporting grants, it is therefore proposed that a broader fundraising exercise be mounted soon, which will include seeking contributions from local individual benefactors and charities.  If anyone knows of organisations or individuals who might be willing to help fund the initiative, we would be very pleased to hear from them.

David Roe.   Chairman   

 

NEWS ARCHIVE - 2018 

NEWS ARCHIVE - 2017

NEWS ARCHIVE - 2016

NEWS ARCHIVE - 2015